Thursday, July 23, 2015

Funeral rolls

This week I got one order. It was for a single full sheet of cinnamon rolls- a $25 order. I wrote it down in my calendar and thought about it all week. I was grateful for the one order, because it was my only one for the past couple weeks. They had asked for a Saturday morning delivery, which is pretty typical for this area.

On Thursday night, I got a phone call from my dad. He said that my Uncle Terry had lost his battle to prostate cancer and died. This was the uncle that baptized me when I was a child, and was there for my family when we needed it most. He was like my second father! The funeral would be quick since there was no embalming or autopsy taking place. They were planning it for Saturday morning, about 6 hours north of where I was. There would be family dinners and events happening all day Friday, too. That night we decided as a family that we would leave early the next morning and drive to Salt Lake to be with family.

However, that meant that I had to cancel my order that I was so excited about. I called them and let them know what happened. They were perfectly OK and understanding about it. We rescheduled for another day. When we got back from the funeral weekend, I got right to work and made them their same order. I ran it over to their house as a surprise. I told them it was “on the house” for being so patient with me.  They were happy and I felt better about canceling. It was worth the time and money I put into them.


This experience taught me how grateful I am about being able to start my own business. Life events happen, and unlike a normal job for another company, there is some leniency for changing up the plan. I am also grateful for the opportunity I have to make my customers happy, even in difficult situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment